The Sierra Sun operates of two offices: at Suite No. 101 in the Pioneer Commerce Center at 10775 Pioneer Trail in Truckee, and at Suite No. 112 in the Cobblestone Center at 475 North Lake Blvd. in Tahoe City.
The Sierra Sun, formerly the Truckee Sun, and its predecessors have been published in Truckee since 1869. According to some fact and a little fiction, the Sun debuted as the Truckee Tribune in 1869 by N.W. Ferguson. E. B. Boust was the first editor.
The paper had a long string of owners and editors until the early 1930s, when then-publisher Stanley Bavieer — an ardent Democrat — appended the title to the Truckee Republican and The Sierra Sun. He was killed in an automobile accident while holding the dual title of publisher and editor.
In 1936, Walter Barrett purchased the paper and owned it until March 21, 1967. At that time, the Sun was purchased by Scripps League Newspapers. The Sun became twice weekly for several years.
In 1980, the Sun became property of Mount Rose Publishing Company, a corporation headed at the time by Philip Swift of Swift Newspapers Inc. (now Swift Communications, Inc.) in Carson City; and James McClatchy, chairman of the board of McClatchy Newspapers.
The Tahoe World represented the other newspaper that became part of Mount Rose Publishing Company. That arrangement continued until 1998, when McClatchy’s interest was bought out, and Mount Rose Publishing Company became solely owned by Swift.
Prior to moving in 2014 into its main Truckee location at the Pioneer Center, the Sun was published for 15 years from offices on Deerfield Drive on the west end of town, and 15 years before that from offices in the Westgate Center on Donner Pass Road.